How to Clean a Glass Cooktop
Flat top stoves add a sleek and modern element to any kitchen, as long as they’re clean and shining like mirrors. If you happen to use them frequently, you know that keeping them clean can sometimes be a challenge. Read on for our foolproof cooktop cleaning tips – as well as a DIY solution. The key is using a product that is abrasive enough to deal with tough kitchen stains but mild enough not to damage the glass surface.
Professional solutions use carefully combined ingredients to achieve this effect in a single step so that you can clean and polish quickly. Our old friends baking soda and vinegar can do the same thing, but the process is a little bit more involved:
Getting a Flat Top Stove to Shine
- Wipe up any loose debris and liquid first. You can do this with a damp cloth or paper towel.
- Place a few quarter-sized drops of specially formulated cooktop cleaner on the surface
- Scrub with a non-abrasive pad (these are typically supplied with the cleaning product)
- Buff the surface to shine.
Cleaning Ceramic Cooktop DIY
If you’re looking to save a few dollars and don’t mind a couple of extra steps – here’s a DIY solution that will produce similar results (although you have to deal with the smell of vinegar!)
- Same as above, wipe up debris and liquid.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the surface of your cooktop
- Mix 2 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid with hot water in a large bucket or bowl, and submerge a towel big enough to cover your stovetop.
- Wring out the towel so it is damp, but not dripping and cover the stovetop. If you don’t have a single towel that will cover the surface, you can place two side by side.
- After 15-20 minutes, submerge the towel again and wring it out. Then wipe down the cooktop using circular motions.
- Using the soft side of a dish sponge, wipe away any remaining baking soda.
- Buff the surface with a splash of vinegar for a streak-free shine
What methods do you use to clean your cooktop? Tell us in the comments below!
Please note: shopping on Amazon using the links from this page may result in TriNova receiving a referral commission.